Buttercreams, Frostings & ToppingsPosted 02/10/2013 by Rebecca Cannon
Buttercreams, Frostings & Toppings
The recipes below make enough to top 12 good size cupcakes OR fill a 8″ round cake. If you would like these recipes on a larger / smaller scale try our CakeOmeter
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 3 Large Free Range Egg Whites
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 300g Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pour the egg whites into a heat proof bowl, add the sugar and salt.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir, keep stirring until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Take the bowl off the heat and whisk until it turns into a thick meringue.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Chop the unsalted butter into chunks, add them to the bowl and whisk – the mixture may go runny, keep whisking it at full speed until combined.
White Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 200g (7oz) Good Quality White Chocolate (chopped)
- 175g (6oz) Icing (Confectioners) Sugar
- 5 tbsp Whole Milk
Milk Chocolate Fudge Frosting (Pictured)
- 100g (3.5oz) Good Quality Milk Chocolate (chopped)
- 75g (3oz) Icing (Confectioners) Sugar
- 50g (2oz) Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Whole Milk
- Put the chocolate and milk into a heavy based pan and heat gently, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat and introduce in the Icing Sugar, stirring until combined. Whilst still warm spread over cupcakes.
Baileys Buttercream Recipe:
- 125g Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 250g Icing (Confectioners) Sugar
- 4 tbsp Baileys
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Cream together the unsalted butter and icing sugar, add the Baileys and vanilla extract and mix well.
Perfectly Smooth Vanilla Buttercream:
- 250g Unsalted Lurpak Butter (room temperature)
- 500g Icing (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1tsp Nielsen Massey Vanilla Extract
- 1tbsp Whole Milk
- Cream together the unsalted butter and icing sugar, add the vanilla extract and optional whole milk and combine.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe & Method
Always use a good quality full fat cream cheese (the light cheeses can cause the frosting to be runny).
- 70g (3oz) Butter (at room temperature)
- 200g (7oz) Philadelphia Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 400g (14oz) Icing (Confectioners) Sugar (sifted)
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) Vanilla Extract
- Place the Philadelphia in a clean mixing bowl and soften slightly using a spatula – do not beat. Gradually add in the softened butter, mixing until smooth. Slowly sift in the icing sugar, mixing until smooth. Lastly, add in the vanilla extract and mix well until all ingredients are combined thoroughly.