RKT Lollipop MummiesPosted 21/10/2013 by Rebecca Cannon
Rice Krispie Treats, or RKT as sometimes called, is great for modelling with. These Lollipop Mummies are easy to make, look fabulous and taste even better!
Ingredients (Makes 6) :
- 25g (1oz) Unsalted Butter
- 100g (4oz) Marshmallows
- 80g (3oz) Rice Krispies
- 200g (8oz) Good Quality White Chocolate
- Smarties (or similar for eyes)
- White Fondant or White Chocolate Covering Paste
You will also need :
- Rolling Pin
- Circle Cutter (we used a 5cm cutter)
- Greaseproof Paper
- Trex (white vegetable fat) for hands
- 6 Lollipop Sticks
- Edible marker for drawing on pupils or black icing
PS. It’s messy!! Make sure your hands are greased.
- On a low heat, slowly melt 25g (1oz) of unsalted butter in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Add in 100g (4oz) of marshmallows and stir continuously until melted.
- Stir for another minute and remove from the heat.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies and mix in well.
- Allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto a large piece on greaseproof paper.
- Spread the RKT out as much as possible.
- Place another piece of greaseproof paper on top of the RKT and roll firmly – you are aiming for it to be around 1cm thick, yet compressed.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, take your circle cutter and cut out 12 circles.
- Leave to one side.
- Take 50g (2oz) of white chocolate and melt it in a small, heavy based saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Working quickly, take 6 of the RKT rounds and dip one side only in the chocolate (take care as it will be hot).
- Place chocolate side up on your worktop and fix a lolly stick to each one.
- Take the remaining 6 RKT rounds and place them on top.
- Press down firmly, ensuring the RKT rounds, chocolate, and lolly stick hold together.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes until set solid.
Coating In Chocolate :
- Add the remaining 150g (6oz) of white chocolate to the pan and melt, stirring continuously so it does not burn.
- If you find the chocolate is too thick, you can add in a little vegetable oil to thin it out.
- Take your lollipops, one at a time, and dip into the melted chocolate.
- Once covered, gently tap the excess chocolate off, and hold for a few moments until the chocolate starts to harden.
- These are scary mummies remember – they don’t have to be perfectly smooth!
- Leave them to set – you can stand them in a polythene block or even a cardboard box with a few holes poked through.
- Repeat, covering all 6 lollipops.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, place in the fridge for 15-20 until set solid.
Making Eyes :
- Take your Smartie eyes and draw on pupils – you can draw these on with an edible food pen or you can use a little black icing.
- Fix the Smartie eyes into place using a little melted chocolate.
- Leave to set.
Making Bandages :
- Take your fondant or white chocolate paste (as we have used here), roll and cut into strips; these don’t have to be exact – remember, they’re bandages!
- Wrap the bandages around the mummies, cutting off any excess.
Now watch your little monsters devour! Muwahhh!
Like It! Make It! Share It!