MacaroonsPosted 02/07/2014 by Rebecca Cannon
You will need :
175g Icing Sugar
75g Caster Sugar
125g Ground Almonds
3 Free Range Egg (Whites Only)
Pinch of Salt
Buttercream Filling :
75g Quality Butter (Room Temperature)
150g Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / Fan oven 140°C / Gas Mark 3.
- Mix together the icing sugar and ground almonds and sift them into a bowl. Reader Erica recommends blitzing both the icing sugar and ground almonds in the food processor to make them finer.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt into soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until it’s thick and glossy.
- Add in desired colour / flavour (tiny amounts).
- Fold half the icing sugar and ground almond mixture into the meringue and mix thoroughly. Add in the other half of the mixture. Use a spatula to fold together until it has thickened and becomes glossy.
- Spoon into a piping bag.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Pipe 3cm rounds onto the baking paper then give the baking tray a little tap on the work surface. Leave to stand for 20 minutes, until they form a slight skin.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Whilst your macaroons are cooling you can make the filling. Beat together the softend butter and icing sugar, add in desired colouring / flavour (tiny amounts) and combine.
- Sandwich the buttercream filling between two cooled macaroons and enjoy! One is never enough!