Covering Number Cakes With FondantPosted 02/10/2013 by Rebecca Cannon
Covering Number Cakes With Fondant
- Prepare your cake by covering it with a thin layer of buttercream – this is called a crumb coat.
- Roll out your fondant to 4-5mm thick, roll enough to cover the entire cake plus an extra 2-3 inches without stretching.
- Position fondant over the cake.
- Smooth fondant over the top of the cake in quick circular movements using both hands.
- Glide hands over the corners and gently smooth and tuck fondant into the curves.
- Once you are happy, a fondant smoother can be used to smooth the top and the outside edges of the cake.
- Trim off the excess fondant at the bottom with a sharp knife and decorate as you wish.
It’s easier than you think!