Google Plus Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Part 1 – Register With Your Local Authority

Posted 30/04/2014 by Rebecca Cannon

Blank ringbound notebook and pencil

Setting up a cake business from home

Here’s all you need to know about setting up a cake business from home. From market research and building a portfolio… to registering with your local authority and promoting yourself online. We’ve compiled all the facts into one handy guide, so grab yourself a cupcake and read on.

Register with your local authority

Registering with your local authority is free and must be done 28 days before you start trading. Your local environmental health inspector will visit your premises and answer any of your questions. You can register for a Food Business Licence online - you’ll need a business name at this point so get your thinking caps on.

Don’t worry the inspection is rather painless

The environmental health inspector will be looking at four main things:

  • Your premises / kitchen layout
  • The kinds of food you plan to make or prepare
  • How you work / Cleanliness and hygiene
  • Your food safety management system – your daily checks and records

The inspection will be detailed, from safety records to the layout and suitability of your premises. It does include making sure that your kitchen has adequate space and facilities with no toilets opening onto the room and separate hand washing facilities.

Inspectors are entitled to turn up at any reasonable hour (without an appointment) and see your premises although most do contact you directly to arrange a convenient day. An inspector can ask to see your records, take samples of foods, and detain anything they believe to be suspect. You will have time to put right any problems and improve any areas, unless there is a public health risk, which means you could be stopped from trading before you’ve even started.

You can prepare for your inspection by reading the guidelines in the Food Standards Agency booklet, Food Hygiene: a guide for business

There is also a pack available called Safer Food, Better Business that is also very useful It is a workbook that guides you through the safety procedures. At the back there is a diary enabling you to record your daily checks and 4 weeks safety reviews.

How to store food correctly in your fridge

If your kitchen is for personal as well as business use, you’ll have to plan storage carefully. The Food Standards Agency says: “Ideally, store raw and ready-to-eat food in separate fridges, freezers and display units. If they are in the same unit, store raw meat, poultry, fish and eggs below ready-to-eat food. Unwashed fruit and vegetables should also be kept separate from ready-to-eat food and above raw meat. Cover cooked foods and other ready-to-eat food.”

If you are in the market for a new fridge or oven Appliance City has a huge range for you to choose from.

Read on… Part 2 ‘Register with HMRC as self employed’

Leave a Reply